Sunday, May 20, 2007

Andy's Roadside Stand

It's that wonderful time of year when the farmer up the street from me open up his roadside stand. That place has been in his family for generations. Thirty years ago, deer hunting was outlawed, which really had an effect on what he can grow without the deer decimating his crop. Little by little, a parcel here and there was sold, so he's down to 5 acres; he's pushing 90, so even that's a bit much for him to handle without his son and daughter pitching in part time on weekends.

All he grows anymore are tomatoes and squash, and those crops aren't ready, but he does have flowers, tomato plants, and herbs for sale. He'll have tomatoes and corn around the end of June, and does get in other produce from other farmers. Sweet guy. Today, we bought two cherry tomato seedlings and a four-pack of basil seedlings. Each of the containers was $1.50, but he said "Give me four dollars even." I was going to just give him a fiver and leave it at that, but he insisted on giving me a dollar change. I don't know how the guy makes any money; I suppose he ekes out a modest living given that he pays property tax at vastly reduced farm rates.

Got gas and beer while we were at it (Andy's stand was on the way home), and managed to find gas for $2.93/gal. for regular. We never see the extreme highs or lows the rest of the country experiences.

The new plants have already been planted. It's a gorgeous day, so I think I'll take the laptop out to the patio.

1 Comments:

Blogger Bud said...

Ah, I remember Jersey tomatoes. Your gas is probably cheap because the refineries are near by. We are apparently gonna have oil wells nearby but that won't change the price of gas here. Just the cost of cleaning the Gulf.

3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home